|Prevent Black Widow Spiders|
Black widow spider is one of the most dangerous species of spider. They are 15 times more dangerous than rattle snake. I have already discussed about the process of identification in another article, called How to Identify Black Widow Spiders. Today, I will show you How to Prevent Black Widow Spiders. Prevention is better than cure. So, let’s start our journey!
Black widow spiders love to live in dark. They make their net in such places where people don't go regularly. Actually they like to live in such place where they can build net and hunt insects without any interruption. Holes, cavities, cracks, window edges, door frames, corner of the room, etc. are their likely places for making habitat. So, you should clean your house regularly.
Clutter is the heaven to black widow spiders. They love to make net inside clutter. You can control them by proper clutter management. You should remove all the unnecessary clothes, shows, papers, books, etc. form your house.
Firewood and Debris Management
Firewood and debris are most likely place to back widow spiders for hiding inside and making nest. You should manage those things properly so that they can't make nest. You should remove unnecessary or unused firewood and debris from your house for preventing black widow spiders.
Remove vegetation, vines, and shrubs
Sometimes, produce vegetation, vines, shrubs etc. grows on our boundary walls. Those plants are safe habitat of spiders. Black widow spiders like to build nest there. So, you should keep your house free from vegetation, vines, and shrubs for preventing black widow spiders.
Proper Sealing Your Doors and Windows Cracks
It is very important to seal your doors and windows properly for preventing black widow spiders. Very narrow space is enough for a black widow spider for entering into your house. So, you should seal each and every crack, cavity, hole for preventing them. You may use silica gel for sealing those cracks. You should sprinkle some pesticide dust into those cracks and cavities before sealing. This will kill black widow spiders if there is any.
Use Screen On Door and Window
You can use door and window screen for preventing black widow spiders. If already you are using screens then make sure there has no holes on the screen. And also ensure that the air ventilation screen is properly and tightly fitted. You should also install sweep brush under the door and window for preventing black widow spiders.
Use Yellow or Sodium Vapor Bulbs
Flies, insects, and crawlies are greatly attracted by traditional incandescent light bulbs. Black widow spiders are also attracted strongly by those lights. So, you should change light bulbs from incandescent to yellow or sodium vapor varieties. Yellow or Sodium Vapor Varieties light do not attract insects.
Install Insect Trap in Your House
By controlling house insects you will be able to reduce the food supply of black widow spiders. You can control house insects by using insect’s traps and baits into your house.
Use natural spider deterrents
This is a good idea for controlling black widow spiders without using any chemical pesticides.
- Put Wrens Nest Box Into Your Garden: Wrens are great hunter of house insets. They kill every type of spiders including black widow spiders. You can encourage them for making nest into your garden by simply putting nest boxes. You may also use apple slices, peanut butter, bread crumbs, etc. for attracting wrens.
- Use horse chestnuts: Horse chestnuts contains a chemical called “saponin”. Black widow spiders dislike saponin and always try to stay away form it. So, if you can sprinkle some horse chestnuts around the infested areas then the black widow spiders will stay away.
- Use Lemon Juice: Black widow spiders dislike the smell of lemon. You can use lemon juice for preventing black widow spiders. Mix couple of lemon juices with 2 gallon of water and spray to the infested areas.
- Use Peppermint Oil: Peppermint oil can also be used for preventing black widow spiders. They dislike the scent of peppermint oil and maintain safe distance from it. Very few drops of essential oil is enough for getting rid of black widow spiders.
- Use eucalyptus: Black widow spiders dislike the smell of eucalyptus. Simply sprinkle some leaves of eucalyptus around the infested area. This will control black widow spiders at home.
Hope you will be able to prevent black widow spiders in your house by simply following the steps described above. Have a black widow spider free house, have a safe house.